Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Life & Everything

My favorite author, Jen Lancaster, once wrote:

“What’s that definition of insanity? When you keep doing the exact same thing and expect different results? Because that’s the hamster wheel I’ve been on for the past few years. The only change I can control –the only difference I can make that isn’t insane—is to modify my own circumstances.”

This is one of the most profound things I’ve read in a very long time. I AM the hamster and my wheel is a-spinning. Sometimes I stumble and fall and the wheel whips me around with it until I can regain my footing. Why then, can’t I just hop out of the wheel and get on with things?

Sometimes I joke with DH about running away. My dream is to move up onto Walton’s Mountain and tuck myself far away from all the crazy people and problems they create in life. I could grow my own produce, as soon as I figure out where my green thumb is, and I could learn to milk a cow like the best of ‘em. Stop laughing! Just hook up the phone line, central air and heat, satellite for my TV and internet and indoor plumbing and I’m all set! The TV remote and internet will allow me to access as much of civilization (whatever that means!) as I choose without actually having to be in it. I could come down from the mountain to visit Ike’s country store whenever I needed to socialize a bit or pick up a pound of coffee. Or I could just order everything over the internet and have it delivered by UPS. Ahhhh, the life!

No comments:

Post a Comment