Friday, July 23, 2010

Alter Egoe or Split Personality?

My supervisor mentioned today that he would like to read my personal blog. We are attempting to tap into the social media frenzy and both he and I are new to the market. (Yes, I know we are a bit late in the game. Better late than never, right?) I’ve been exploring Twitter and Facebook and blogging on a personal level so that I can get a grasp around the entire concept and how it all works together. I casually mentioned to my boss that I had started a blog to learn how it works -and he asks to see it. Big mistake. My personal blogs are my feelings on various, insignificant matters that may come to mind at any given time. Do I want to give my boss a peek at my inner soul, at who I am and how I feel about things? I’m not so sure about that.

I try to keep my private life separate from my business life. It’s not that I have anything to hide or that I let it all hang out on the weekends (on the contrary –I have nothing to “hang out” anyway). It’s that I don’t want to become one of those people at work who’s life is an open book and that lives for the drama that unfolds. I prefer the simple, quite side of life and it should remain private and separate. I do interface with friends and coworkers about family, kids, vacations, etc., and engage in light conversations that are appropriate around the water cooler. (Do people actually stand around water coolers and talk anymore?)

What I don’t do is divulge details like how this weekend I accidently (it’s always an accident, right?) drank too many martinis at my cousin’s wedding and my husband found me sitting out in front of the hotel, martini glass in hand, soaking my sore feet in the water fountain (you know, the one right there by the circle drive where the valet’s handle all the guests’ cars) and blowing teeny, tiny bubbles with that little bottle you get as a wedding favor. Naah, I don’t think they need to know that kind of stuff about me. And neither does my supervisor.

So maybe a fake blog is in order. I can set one up on a different website and give it a name that obviously points to me (fake of course) and allow him to read about how mundane my life is, how I always exercise and eat right, and how I spend the weekends gardening and reading to the elderly. My alter ego. (Like Bizzarro World on Seinfeld.) But those that I am close to know that I’m far from that. I never have time to exercise, I love food (powdered donuts and skittles are my vice), my thumb has never been a shade of any color resembling green, and reading to the elderly might just mean reading to my aging self. So to keep my private life private, I guess I have to hide behind an alter ego. Hmmm, now that could be fun. [insert sinister laugh here]

No comments:

Post a Comment