Saturday, October 9, 2010

I Swear It Was Innocent & Unintentional

Our neighbors directly across the street are really nice people.

We tend to be indoor folk that always have too much to do so we probably seem like we are unapproachable. That’s what happens when you’re always trying to keep up with the house and laundry, running the kids to their activities, grocery shopping, etc. But our neighbors appear to have it all together. They spend time with their toddler daughter in the yard playing, they have other friends over on weekends and at night to socialize. They have come over when we had yard sales and they even let me use the phone one morning when my daughter locked my purse and keys in the house. Quiet and clean, they never disturb anyone and they keep their lawn up. What more could you ask for?

Well, there is one little thing. They are Florida Gator fans. And we live in Tiger country.

No, the Tigers aren’t exactly their big rival, nor are the Gators ours. But during football season, they sport Gator flags instead of Tiger flags. They often have friends over on game days and they watch the game in the garage with the door open. Not that I’m being nosey (hey, I’m just getting the mail, okay?) but I can clearly see them watching the Gator game instead of the Tigers. And that’s totally okay.

Today is Saturday -game day- and my youngest daughter wanted to wear her LSU cheerleading outfit. No problem. She wanted to ride her bike this morning so she and her big sister went for a ride. Nothing bad about that right? You would think. And now you know the truth. We really didn’t do anything.

It’s now late in the afternoon -almost game time- and my Dear Husband and I were casually talking about the game when my oldest daughter asked who we were playing. Upon hearing it was the Gators, she commented, “oh, that’s why the neighbor asked if we were watching the game tonight.” I asked her when she had spoken to the neighbor and I find out that it was when they were riding their bikes. They were apparently playing in the yard when my girls went out and my youngest daughter wanted to go over and say high to their toddler. Nothing to it. Until it sank in…

Oh, how that must have looked to them. I mean, our kids rarely go outside to ride their bikes. On a Saturday morning. Before noon. And never in an LSU outfit. Especially when the neighbors are outside. On game day. That would look bad.

It just so happens that they were outside early this morning because my oldest daughter had a friend sleep over and they were playing in the yard while waiting for her parents to pick them up. But if the neighbors didn’t see that, then it would look suspicious.

Around 11:00 am, my 3 yo. comes bounding out the house in her LSU outfit and just so happens to want to ride her bike while the neighbors are in their yard. (seem odd yet?) Then, she just so happens to want to stop and talk to the neighbors toddler and say hi (something she has never really done before). I’m thinking the neighbor must have thought it propped (like we were trying to rub it in or something) because she proceeded to ask my girls if we were going to watch the game and then says that they were definitely watching the Gators tonight.

See? It was totally innocent.

Hey, we know the Gators are an excellent team. They always are and I’ll even admit that they will be difficult to beat. But this here is Tiger country and we support our boys!

Geaux Tigers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment