Friday, September 17, 2010

Look At Me! I'm Farming!

It all started with a harmless post on Facebook. Last Saturday afternoon was the first time I really got into exploring my new Facebook account and how it works. I was only on for a short while before I saw it. It was an innocent post by my sister and I really didn’t know what it was. Something about her getting a great deal on pumpkin bushels at the market. Huh? I thought maybe she was using them for something at work, but what do I know. So I thought I was being funny when I replied “Now don’t you go all Martha Stewart on me.” Then a short while later, another odd post about harvesting her pumpkins. WTH? Now I know my sister doesn’t have any pumpkins growing in her garden. I don’t even think she planted a garden this year! So this time I simply commented “Who are you and what have you done with my sister.” Well, that prompted her to respond by laughing at me and then she explained that it was part of a game on Facebook. What? Facebook has games too? So I head off to explore Farmville –where you get a piece of land (your farm) and you basically tend it. You can plant crops and trees, build houses and barns and all the while you earn money and climb in the rankings. The higher you rank, the more things you can do. And people share rewards they earn with their Facebook friends which creates this whole community thing. So I begin by planting some crops which have to be harvested when they are finished growing. And repeat, this time with more crops. Someone sends me a gift –it’s a foal and then I receive a brick (to use when I start building). Another friend has a lost cow up for adoption so now I have livestock. And then it’s time to plant more crops. Hey! This is actually kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment