Friday, August 6, 2010

Can You Hear That?

Shhhh… Listen closely. That. Right there. Do you hear it? No? Nothing? Excellent! That’s the sound of silence. Quiet. Peace. Tranquility. It’s the sound of my neighbor’s dog not barking!

Yep, my neighbor’s dog has been silent all night and this morning with nary a peep out of it. (And before you even think it --no, I didn’t do anything to the poor animal. I’m bitchy, not hateful.) Shortly after I posted my blog last night, I noticed that I didn’t hear any more barking. Great! I expected it to start up again right about the time my head hit the pillow –but it didn’t. And I was enjoying the tranquility so much that the next thing I knew, it was morning and I had slept clear through the night. Woo Hoo! I feel great, and life is good. (Funny how a good night’s sleep can make everything better.)

So this morning I am wondering what caused the sudden change in animal behavior. Maybe another neighbor complained so they got rid of the dog. Or maybe they are more conscientious than I thought and have brought the dog inside the house so we can’t hear the barking. (Though I doubt this one because it rained all day yesterday and the dog would have been sloppy, wet, and muddy and in dire need of a bath.)

What I find most intriguing is that the barking stopped shortly after I posted the blog. Which leads my ever-suspicious mind to jump to conclusions. Maybe my neighbors have my house tapped. Or maybe, just maybe, they are tapping into my wireless internet and saw the blog themselves. This wild conclusion might seem a bit far fetched at first, but when you take into consideration the fact that my wireless internet has been acting funny ever since they moved in, then it’s not such a far fetched thought.

You see, whenever I’m working online, my internet connection gets broken and I have to reset my router. It’s always at random times and there are no predictable patterns for me to discern why it’s happening. I’ve been frustrated and bewildered by the happenings and have been wondering if hijacking is possible even though my password is so difficult it could not be guessed. Hell, it’s so many random numbers and letters with no significant meaning that I can’t even remember it and have to keep it on file. (OMG! Maybe they are digging through my files too!) I’ve researched possible problems with the router and settings that can be adjusted but nothing ever works and the problem continues. It might occur 20 minutes or two hours after I’ve connected and it’s totally at random. I’ve noticed that it happens more often on Weekend mornings than any other days or times. So I’ve long suspected that somehow, my wireless connection is being interrupted by others nearby using the internet at the same time. Now, I’m no IT professional so I really don’t know if this is all possible. But with all the things that hackers can do, I don’t doubt it. And to think of it, I don’t have a clue about what my neighbor does for a living. He might be an IT pro himself.

Well, just incase this may be true...

Hello my neighbor! Thank you for the quiet, bark-free evening. By the way, your flower garden looks beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment