Friday, August 16, 2013

An Impressive Resume Won’t Land You The Job Or why Not Leaning In is often viewed as the equivalent of leaning so far back that your chair is practically falling over backwards.



I’m currently seeking employment and rather than just get a new job, I’m trying to change roles.  I’m ready to leave my position as director of a department and do something else in a more subordinate role.  Basically, I’m looking for less stress and want to take a step back.

Which is why I keep hearing HR and recruiters say, “You have an impressive resume!”  But what this translates to is “why in the world is someone with your skill set applying for this menial job?”  And what’s worse is that even after I’ve explained that I want to transition to something else, I’m still disregarded for the job.  Yes, I’m overqualified.  I am aware of that.  And when I say that I want to step back and have less authority and responsibility, it seems like nobody believes me. 

Listen up HR recruiters:  Not every woman wants to Lean In.  Didja get that?  Not every working woman out there has the drive and desire to claw her way to the top.  Not every woman wants to be a money-driven, power-hungry force to be reckoned with in the boardroom.  That, is not me. 

I simply want a full-time, dedicated position with a secure company where I can go in each day and do a job.  During business hours, I will be prompt, work hard, and give you my all.  I will be a team player, but I will not be used and abused; nor do I wish to take part in office antics or silly gossiping cliques.  I don’t want overtime at time and a half.  I just want an agreed upon salary and benefits and a safe place to perform my duties.  And coffee.  I definitely need coffee.

So, while I’m obviously not leaning in, I wouldn’t exactly call that leaning out.  I call it, getting back to the basics and letting go of the pressures.  And there is nothing wrong with that.

Obviously, I’m not Leaning In.  I don’t want to live for my job.  Instead, I’m trying to take back control of my job so that I can be a better me.  Which makes me a better employee for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment